We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.
Unlike competitors, Sterling does not limit its clients to just private (non-operating) foundations. We have the expertise and experience to assist clients in selecting, creating and managing the charitable organization that best achieves their philanthropic goals, such as:
- Private (non-operating) Foundation (PF)
- Private Operating Foundation (POF)
- Public Charity (PC)
- Supporting Organization (SO)
- Sterling Donor-Advised Fund (DAF)
- Charitable Remainder Trusts in combination with PF, PC or DAF
Depending on your philanthropic vision and your individual circumstances, Sterling will help you decide what type of organization would work best for you. No matter what charitable vehicle you choose, Sterling can help you maximize its effectiveness. Below is just a partial list of the comprehensive services we provide:
- New Organization Establishment – draft and file important creation documents such as bylaws, articles of incorporation and conflict of interest policy, federal EIN and IRS Form 1023 Application for Tax Exemption
- Governance Best Practices – identify board member candidates, develop roles and responsibilities, establish guiding policies and procedures
- Compliance Management – ensure your organization is in compliance with state and federal regulations such as limitations on excess business holdings, avoidance of self-dealing, avoidance of jeopardizing investments, payment of excise taxes, meeting distribution requirements and public support tests
- Accounting and Bookkeeping – keep detailed financial records on contributions, assets, grants, fees and expenses
- Tax Return Preparation and Filing – coordinate, oversee and review federal and state tax filings
- Grant Due Diligence and Management – provide best practices in grant selection criteria, recipient due diligence, negotiations and grant agreements, monitoring and measurement and grant processing
- Management and Financial Reporting – regular reporting to include status of meetings, required minimum distributions, public support tests, grant history, changes in tax laws, etc.
- State Charitable Solicitation Registration – register and manage renewals for donation solicitation as required in 40 states and the District of Columbia (if applicable)
We offer high-quality, proactive, centralized management of all your charitable needs. As a Sterling client, you will have a dedicated Client Service Team that can answer your questions and provide you with the information you need whenever you need it. You will have direct and unlimited access to your support team, as well as to the entire team of industry experts at Sterling.
Our dedication to Making Philanthropy Make a Difference motivates us in everything we do – from our Individualized Approach, to our Innovative Solutions, to our Unrivaled Impact. Sterling has what it takes to help our clients’ philanthropy succeed.